SPARKY FORUM

Floor noise/hiss in Kali+Piano2.1

Floor noise/hiss in Kali+Piano2.1
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »
Hi,

New user here!  I got my Vana player today. I am using it as a 2.0 with my external amplifier and speakers (Nam 5i + Vienna Bach).

First: Congratulations to the developers of this combo/DAC! I am really liking what I hear. In my oppinion it sounds better than some quite expensive DACs,  will post a review later. However I have some questions:

I am hearing quite a lot of floor-noise (my amplifier is dead silent with my other DACs, and I have a power conditioner for the line).  I did switched from Ethernet to WiFi and the noise reduced substantially,  but there is still some amount of "white noise" when the device is in mute/pause/standby. The noise disappear if I unplug the Vana from the power outlet (I am using the standard power supply in the kit).

Am I alone on this? Do I have a faulty unit? Do you think it is coming from digital domain (i.e. better filtering stages will deal with this?), or maybe I have some improper grounding somewhere?

Any ideas to try?

Thanks for your advice.

Re: Floor noise/hiss in Kali+Piano2.1
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:17 AM »
Dear Team,

We are not experienced this kind of issue here.Can you please explain how you are connecting the  power to the board.

Can you please explain below point :

The noise disappear if I unplug the Vana from the power outlet (I am using the standard power supply in the kit).

Please send one image of your setup.

With Regards
Sparky admin

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
Yes: Clarification, I mean high background noise when nothing is playing but the sparky+kali+piano are on. If I disconnect the power supply from the vana player the noise/hiss completely goes away. My setup is very standard, see the pictures attached.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:15:49 PM by dadriano »

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:50:40 AM »
Dear Team,

Since we are not experienced with this kind of  issue in our lab Can you please  check by connecting volt board and speakers to the volt board weather you are getting any kind of noise without connecting external amplifier.

With Regards
Sparky admin

Sergeysag

Floor noise/hiss in KaliPiano2 1
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
thanks dtb

part of the equasion is getting a power cord that properly combats the core problem that is raising your noise floor in the first place. sounds difficult, but its not really.